Early Childhood Education and Care for Sustainability
This innovative and timely book explores issues and concerns surrounding Education for Sustainable Development in early childhood, providing a range of perspectives on how we can live and promote more healthy, just and sustainable lives. It examines the professional responsibility of early years practitioners to embed sustainability into their everyday practice and to ensure that young children are acquiring the knowledge and skills they need to become effective agents of change, committed problem-solvers and system-thinkers.
Bringing together international examples of best practice, drawing on cutting-edge research, and providing an array of practical examples, chapters focus on issues such as:
- the historical context of Early Education for Sustainability;
- complexities and challenges involved in implementing sustainable approaches;
- encouraging children to contribute to an enabling society;
- adopting environmentally sustainable approaches in Early Years settings;
- the future of sustainability in Early Years education.
This book offers essential support to Early Years educators, practitioners and students who are key players in shaping the fundamental attitudes and beliefs of our planet’s future citizens, enabling them to assume their responsibilities, now and in the future, in regard to environmental, social and economic sustainability.
Subjects: Education / General